New Food Safety Standard for food manufacturers
MEMBER of the FQC Food Safety Certification Foundation.
It started to provide Audit and Certification services on FSSC 22000.
For FSSC 22000 Certification Application Form, please view our Certification Process ...
What is FSSC 22000?
Run by The Foundation of Food Safety Certification, FSSC 22000 is essentially a combination of ISO 22000: 2005 and PAS 220: 2008 and is the first global food safety standard specifically geared towards the food production industry.
Why was FSSC Developed?
ISO 22000 was reviewed by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) when it was published, but was not included in the list of accepted standards as it did not appear to meet the prerequisite programs for food manufacturers to cover food safety issues. This has led to the design of PAS 220: 2008, a standard that covers the requirements of food manufacturers and processors and can be used with ISO 22000. The second requirement of the GFSI program was to have a defined owner of the standard. This program is run by the Foundation for Food Safety Certification (FSSC), which is responsible for managing accreditation and certification processes and maintaining recognition by the GFSI program.
FSSC 22000 Features and Content
FSSC 22000 requirements include the following main topics:
- ood safety system requirements of food manufacturers,
- Requirements for certification companies,
- FSSC 22000 accreditation rules,
- Rules for stakeholders
It is aimed to apply all ISO 22000 and PAS 220 standard requirements of food manufacturers and in addition to these,
some topics are also emphasized:
- Compliance with legal regulations and follow-up,
- Fulfillment of customer requirements ,
- Providing an efficient personnel management.
PAS 220 (ISO 22002-1) content and topics:
This guide details the 10 sub-headings of 7.2.3 in the ISO 22000 Food Safety standard, as well as the last five items:
- Structure and layout
- of buildings Work area, layout of buildings and their extensions
- Auxiliary facilities - air, water, energy
- Support services such as waste and sewage
- Equipment suitability, cleaning, preventive maintenance
- Management of purchased materials,
- Measures to prevent cross contamination
- Cleaning and sanitation
- Pest control
- Personnel hygiene and employee facilities
- Product recall procedures
- Product - consumer information
- Food defense, biodefense and bioterrorism
FSSC 22000 Certification Process:
- The path to be followed by businesses planning to go through the FSSC 22000 certification process can be listed as follows.
- Implementation of ISO 22000 & PAS 220 (ISO 22002-1)
- Understanding and implementation of FSSC 22000 food safety management system Conducting
- internal audit and closing of nonconformities
- Selection of certification body approved by the Board and auditing within the right scope (signed contract)
- Minor and Major nonconformities and corrective actions
- Approval of Report and Document (with FSSC logo)
The validity of the FSSC 22000 certificate is 3 years as in other quality management systems from ISO. In addition, annual follow-up audits are planned and a document renewal is made every 3 years.
Businesses with ISO 22000 certificate will be able to receive FSSC 22000 certificate after being evaluated according to PAS 220 (with half or one day audit depending on the size of the enterprise).